Live your Best Life NOW!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Be Observant....it's Amazing What You Take In!

One of my favorite past times is people watching. I love to sit in crowded places and watch people interact with one another. You learn so much about human nature and peoples values when you watch how they interact with strangers as well as loved ones.  I have long believed that you can learn far more about a person from their actions than their words.  Most humans have learned to conform to societal norms, so they have conditioned themselves to say what others want to hear - or what they believe is appropriate for the situation.  Our behavior tends to be more innate and not as conditioned to mask our true feelings. Today on a visit to Naperville, IL, I had the opportunity to visit several establishments that allowed me to observe patrons interacting with each others. I saw such things as kindness, caring, and generosity.  I also saw moments of anger, impatience and intolerance. I doubt that most of the people I observed were aware that so many others were watching their behavior. After all, most of them appeared to be quite immersed in discussions and personal conversations.  Studying your environment can provide a window into where society is headed and why.  It may act as both a mirror and a lesson every time you step out of your front door.  So, the next time your out for dinners with friends or family, running to your local big box store for a few supplies, or simply out walking the dog, take a moment to survey your environment.  I'm sure you'll return home with a new and different view of the world around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment